My ambition is to win a funded PhD. Simple, low-level, not much. Just the hardest thing I have ever done.
It is easy to say it and sometimes hearing myself commit is an appropriate spur to action. I have now publicly nailed my colours to the proverbial mast. To this end I was going back and forth with a soon to be tutor and they kindly produced this simple guide for me:
A PhD proposal should look along the lines of:
• What’s the problem
• Why is it problematic
• What, therefore, is your Central Research Question
Aims and Objectives
• How will you answer this question
• What are your sub-research questions
• What is your interesting angle
• What is currently said in the literature?
• Where is the hole?
• How will you fill it
• What methodological strategy will you employ?
• Why is that the most appropriate way of conducting this type of research
• What is it you will get out of doing this and why is this the most appropriate way to answer this question?
• How will you limit risk?
Personal Impetus (optional)
• Why this project?
• How will your UG diss and MA build into this project?
So, nothing much really. And I need to have this all nailed by Christmas. Which is why I intend to move to Sheffield in a rented room and become slightly monkish.